2020 REFLECTIONS - Issue 4
27 May 2019
Sir Charles Lanyon Grave
Sir Charles Lanyon, born 6 January 1813, called to the Grand Lodge above 31 May 1889.
Freemasons’ Hall Arthur Square was one of Lanyon’s last buildings and on 1 November 1867 he was co-signatory to the lease of the site. On 24 June 1868 he laid the foundation stone. Renowned as architect and civil engineer his Masonic credentials are often overlooked.
Belfast’s most important architect of the Victorian period is buried at Knockbreda Parish Church graveyard. The Trustees engaged with The Follies Trust, a charitable organisation and company that conserves follies or olden structures. Their knowledge and passion entailed commissioning a historic building consultant, all whom previously restored mausoleums in the graveyard.
The Trustees, desirous to mark 150 years of the Halls existence were concerned to the unkempt and deteriorating state of Lanyon’s grave. With grateful appreciation to The Rector of Knockbreda Parish Church in permitting The Follies Trust to complete Phase 1, to remove the vegetation. Phase 2, will be to carry out preservation work. Former Trustee Ronnie Wilson aided the liaison.
As the Order commemorates 2020 Reflections we also recognise with admiration the wisdom of those who embarked in creating Freemasons’ Hall Arthur Square. Charles Lanyon, Adam Thomas Macauley, John Malcolm, Charles Matthews, Alexander Mitchell, Robert McCalmont, James M’Cracken the Order is indebted to your forethought.
ARGR Patterson, D Hetherington.