Welcome To Arthur Square
History Of The Building
In 1863 it was agreed that it would be of benefit to all to have a building where all Lodges could meet under one roof. After a great deal of effort a place was found, and on 28th June 1868 foundation stone of the present hall was laid with full Masonic ceremonial. This event attracted much public interest and certain streets were closed to traffic so that a formal procession could walk from Ulster Hall to Arthur Square. Balconies were constructed so that ladies could have a good view. About 10,000 people watched the proceedings, and Masonic visitors attended from Londonderry, Ballymena, Antrim, Larne, Cargycreevy, Lisburn, Ligoniel, Straid, Glenarm and elsewhere.